Firmware Will Not Flash
- The most common issue when this happens is a faulty SD card. Get a new MicroSD card from a reputable brand (like Sandisk, Samsung, Kingston, Verbatim) and try that before digging into other issues. Don’t go crazy, just get something in the 8GB range. Marlin only has been shown to work reliably with SD cards 32GB or less and you want to format as FAT32.
- Please see our SD Flashing information page here: EZBoard – Flashing Firmware MicroSD Recommendations
The EZBoard Restarts when SD is Inserted
- Due to how Marlin handles the SD mounting if a card takes too long to fully mount it will result in a reset.
- Smaller cards have been seen to not do this at all or as often
- It is more likely to occur with larger (16GB+) cards
- The card must be 32GB or smaller in size and formatted as FAT or FAT32 file system.
- Sizes over 32GB will not work
- File systems other than FAT and FAT32 will not work
- It can also be due to a failing SD card. If this is the case you will have other issues other than a reboot when inserting it (like lockups during a print or other unwanted behavior)
- Insert your SD card before pre-heating and starting a print
- We are looking into a firmware patch to see if we can make the firmware wait longer to mount the card. There is no ETA on if this can be patched as we’re still looking into this behavior.
- NOTE: This is not a hardware problem with the EZBoard that causes the reboot but something in the Marlin firmware that is used (other LPC based boards have this same issue as well).
End of print never “completes”
- If the end of a print never shows completed on the LCD you may need to change your ending Gcode to this order
- M140 S0 ; Turn Off Heated Bed
- M104 S0 ; Turn Off Hotend
- This is a bug in Marlin 2.0 and will be patched in our next release
My E Motor Makes More Noise Than The Others
- The default setup on our board is to set the E motor driver to SpreadCycle mode.
- This mode provides more torque than StealthChop which is what the other drivers are in for quiet printing
- SpreadCycle is still very quiet but you may notice a slight noise coming from the E motor and this is normal
- If you want to get rid of this noise you can enable StealthChop in our firmware to switch the E motor to StealthChop but if you get lost steps you will want to switch back to SpreadCycle mode.
- Remember to reset your EEPROM (initialize in the menu on some firmware versions, or send M502 then M500 to clear and save it via Gcode) for the new changes to take effect
- This is NOT a limitation of our board but just how all the Trinamic drivers are with these technologies in them
Cannot Compile on a Mac Computer
- See the thread here for Mac compile issues: https://forum.th3dstudio.com/d/12-ezboard-32-bit-marlin-mac-compile-thread
- It is recommended to use our EZFirmware website to compile firmware unless you have to modify code outside of the Configuration.h file, which 99% of people will not need to do at all.
My CR-10S (any size) has 2 fans connected to “VIN” Ports
- These should have the ends cut off and the wires inserted into the “FAN” screw terminal on the board.
- These fans are always on and wiring them to the “FAN” screw terminals will provide them power just like the stock board did.
- These are the internal 50mm fan and rear 40mm fan in the control box.
- The one that goes to the hotend should be connected to the “FAN” screw terminal as well
Can I power a Raspberry Pi board from the 5V pins on the EZBoard?
- No. This will cause damage to the board and blow the 1A fuse for the 5V rail on our board. Do not try to power a Raspberry Pi from your EZBoard.
- If you want to power your Pi from your printer power we have a Pi Direct Wire power adapter board in our shop for under $10 that will do this for you.
Will the EZBoard work with Octoprint?
- Yes. It will work just like the stock control board.
What is the EZBoard Baud Rate?
- The default USB baud rate for the serial interface is set to 115200 just like the Creality stock boards for compatibility with existing slicer setups and other programs you would use with the stock board.
What voltage does the EZBoard work with?
- The EZBoard works on 12-24V DC.
Can I use Marlin 2.0 with the EZBoard if I do not want to use the TH3D Firmware?
- Yes. Our board is in the official Marlin 2.0 release. If you do use Marlin 2.0 instead of our Unified Firmware we will not be able to provide technical support at no charge as our support does not cover this use case.
Can I use a normal 12864LCD with the EZBoard?
- Yes. You will also need the Creality Dual Cable LCD adapter board as well and the SD slot will not function on the LCD itself.
- You will still use the MicroSD slot on our board for your MicroSD card.