Auto bed leveling has revolutionized the 3D printing process, ensuring precise prints with minimal user intervention. When it comes to auto bed leveling solutions, the EZABL and BLTouch are two popular options. In this article, we will examine the pros and cons of each system to help you make an informed decision based on your specific requirements.
CRTouch Note – The CRTouch that is also available carries the same pros and cons as the BLTouch with the exception that it has a metal pin instead of a plastic pin so it is a little more durable in the event of a print failure. Arguably the CRTouch support is also far worse than what you might get with a BLTouch due to Creality’s poor support and customer service practices.
- Cost: The BLTouch generally comes at a slightly lower price point than the EZABL, making it a more budget-friendly option.
- Power Source: The BLTouch is powered directly from the control board, eliminating the need for an external power supply.
- Cable Compatibility: Despite variations in vendor wiring, the BLTouch can be adapted to work with various printers if you are willing to modify the cabling to suit your control board.
- Vibrations: The BLTouch utilizes moving parts, which can vibrate when the printer is printing resulting in noise from the sensor as its pin vibrates
- Accidental Pin Deployment: In some cases the pins can deploy when it shouldn’t and destroy your print and sometimes the probe (see point #5).
- Wiring Complexity: Due to the lack of standardization across vendors, connecting the BLTouch can be challenging, especially since most units do not include the necessary wiring for the control board.
- Limited or NO Technical Support: Users often find it difficult to obtain comprehensive technical support for the BLTouch.
- Fragile Pin: The plastic pin used by the BLTouch is prone to damage and failure, requiring careful handling and potential replacements.
- Wiring Shielding: The BLTouch lacks shielding on its wiring, which may lead to interference issues, affecting the probe’s performance.
- IO Pin Requirements: The BLTouch requires two IO pins for connection, which may limit its compatibility with certain printers.
- Firmware Availability: Firmware updates and support directly from the Bltouch company are not typically available direct from BLTouch or Creality (CRTouch).
- Slow Probing Speed: The BLTouch’s maximum probing speed is typically limited to 8mm/s, potentially extending bed leveling time.
- Included Cable: The EZABL comes with a 1.5-meter cable that fits most printers, eliminating the need for additional purchases and ensuring compatibility.
- Cable Shielding: The EZABL’s cable is fully shielded, minimizing the risk of interference and optimizing probe performance.
- Simple Connection: The EZABL just requires 2 wires to connect to the 3D printer z endstop port for its signal and 2 wires (or AC adapter) to power it from any 12-24V DC power source.
- Technical Support: TH3D Studio provides comprehensive technical support for the EZABL, assisting users with installation, troubleshooting, and general inquiries.
- Pre-setup Firmware: The EZABL includes pre-setup firmware for numerous popular printer models, simplifying the installation process and ensuring compatibility.
- Durability: With no moving parts, the EZABL is more resistant to vibrations and mechanical failures during printing.
- Probing Speed: The EZABL offers faster probing speeds, capable of up to 15mm/s on most printers or even higher on belt driven Z axis machines, reducing bed leveling time.
- Sensor Mount Options: TH3D Studio provides over 50 presetup sensor mounts and STL files, making it easier for users to find a suitable mount for their specific printer model.
- Cost: The EZABL generally carries a slightly higher price tag compared to the BLTouch.
- Power Connection: The EZABL requires power from the printer’s power supply or an AC adapter, necessitating an additional power source. Some users may shy away from connecting wires to their printer power supply and the additional AC adapter for those that want to avoid power supply wiring is an additional cost ($5).
Choosing between the EZABL and BLTouch for auto bed leveling depends on various factors. While the BLTouch offers a cost-effective solution powered directly from the control board, it has limitations such as potential vibrations, complex wiring, and limited technical support. On the other hand, the EZABL provides a comprehensive package with included shielded cable, robust technical support, pre-setup firmware, durability, faster probing speeds, and a wide range of sensor mount options. Consider your budget, preference for technical support, and the specific needs of your 3D printing setup when making your decision. Ultimately, the EZABL’s advantages position it as a reliable and efficient auto bed leveling solution for most users.
Want to chat with us about the EZABL or BLTouch/CRTouch? Contact us and we’ll get back to you.